Macro Algae Fertilization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macro Algae Fertilization

I currently have a 15 gal macro tank with botryocladia and gracilaria parvispora and had a few questions and maybe some recommendations. In regards to macro nutrients, I was thinking about the aquavitro nitrogen and phosphorus, but the tricky part comes into play with the micros. A few options I’ve considered are; Flourish only, iron and Fuel, and only Iron but unsure of which version would be best considering the high pH and that macro algaes may uptake nutrients a bit differently. Im also a bit unsure as to how often dosing should be done, particularly in regards to iron as its utilized so rapidly.
    Anxiously awaiting any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks for the post, BankeiZen!

The tank looks great! Before we recommend anything, do you plan to keep any other fish or inhabitants in the tank? This will assist with our product suggestions! Looking forward to your reply!

Comment

Yes, definitely some CUC like blue legs, astreas, and nassarius snails. Fish-wise im either going to do a pair of pink skunk clowns or a clown goby. Everything is flexible though and the macro algae is the main concern, im willing to adjust stocking to suit products if need be.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
        We would recommend using the aquavitro synthesis and activate to achieve 3ppm NO3 and 0.25 PO4. Since you have such a small volume, you will need to get a syringe or similar substitute 1.0 mL graduated device (pipette). Activate also contains potassium which should be sufficient for your needs. As for the trace elements/micros, we would recommend our Reef Trace. If you find this not to be sufficient, you can try using 1/4 dose of Flourish every third day Monday - Thursday. Plant trace mixes have things that can be a problem in saltwater tanks at the concentrations needed in freshwater. Use caution and have patience when using them. :)

Hoping this helps and please let us know how it goes!

Comment

Will definitely give it a shot, thanks so much!

Comment

No worries!

Comment

Mistakes were made and lessons were learned. For the first month or so I was in the honeymoon phase, until a crazy cyano outbreak decided to beat me into submission. In retrospect, i was pumping in WAY too much nitrogen via aquavitro synthesis and had very little biomass to compensate. Red algaes are painfully slow growers and that was all I had at the time. I was also dosing 2-4 ml of flourish each week which was probably making things worse. So finally the first week of april I decided to swap tanks and actually go for a smaller 7.5 AIO tank, and a 100% water change. I also grabbed a couple bits of caulerpa taxifolia and prolifera as well as two types of codium, and a sprig of halimeda that also grows painfully slow. This is now my favorite tank in the house and these mobile pics dont do it justice under the cool white kessil a160. My current dosage is 2 ml of flourish once a week (twice if my caulerpa is getting a bit pale on the edges), and 2 ml of reef phytoplankton every other week. I dosed 1 ml of synthesis when i set up the tank, and my nitrates have been rock steady at 10ppm. I think the phyto helps with this. Sorry this turned out nothing like the original plan but I think this worked out much better!
              Attached Files

Comment

That's really cool! I recently set up a nano macro tank of my own. I'm an aquatic plant ecologist so it always makes me happy to see people doing things like this. Do you have any fish in there yet?

Comment

I do, I have a pair of Springeri damsels. They were being shy because of the camera. Normally they’re out dancing in between the caulerpa. I plan on adding a feather duster and maybe a blood shrimp this week as well.

Comment

How often do you feed them to be able to maintain 10 ppm NO3? I'd expect NO3 and PO4 to get sucked up pretty quickly with that much algal mass in there. I've only got a pair of little bitty Masked Gobies in my 4gal and they don't eat much.

Comment

I feed very little once a day with a pellet or flake, typically hikari or sera, and once a week or so i feed omega brine then skip a day. Its definitely not an exact science 😂. Masked gobies are very cool. If i didnt have these guys i would have a citrus or clown goby. How long have you had your setup?

Comment

The current tank's been up for a couple weeks with rock and media from an established system. It's going through the diatom phase right now but so far all's well. The algae are growing pretty quickly so I expect things to settle down relatively soon. I've been dosing to keep NO3 between 3 and 5, PO4 around 0.08, and Fe between 0.05 and 0.1 using the standard Flourish products. Being such a small tank it's difficult to keep them spot-on, but things seem to be working well so far.

Comment

Nice! Cant wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                          X