Help para guard and cupramine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help para guard and cupramine

Where to start... Well i quarantined my powder blue tang for 30 days but didn’t prophylacticly treat, as soon as I put him in my display he got ich and died. Within 2 weeks 7 fish died, with 1 clown passing on to what looks like brookynella. Now I have the 5 surviving fish in qt and I started treatment with para guard as everyone I asked believes I have brook. Last night my fire fish died and the red velvet wrasse is lying on the bottom on the tank still breathing but seems to have a white speckled film. Now I suspect velvet and will start copper. This has been a traumatizing and expensive experience and from now on I will prophyactly treat all fish. I Almost hope it’s velvet just to know what is wrong finally. Maybe I do have all 3 diseases. Could the wrasse's reaction be from para guard? Or maybe he's just succumbing to the disease. I dosed para guard yesterday, do I have to do a water change or how long until I can start the cupramine treatment? What can I do for my fairy wrasse? He's still fighting for his life laying on the bottom of the qt tank. Any help is appreciated thank you

Re: Help para guard and cupramine

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you've been having. Dealing with disease is definitely one of the most frustrating parts of the hobby.

Marine velvet and Brooklynella can have similar symptoms: both attack the gills first, causing rapid or erratic breathing, and can affect the appearance of the fish's slime coat. Brooklynella tends to strike clownfish very rapidly, killing them within days if not hours. The fish usually begin to breath heavily and then rest on the bottom, and as it progresses you see a thick, almost mucous like coating spreading from the head back along the body. Other types of fish can be affected, but it is less common and usually progresses more slowly.

If it is marine velvet, Cupramine will be the better choice. Copper based medications are more affective against it than aldehyde based meds like ParaGuard. Wait at least 24 hours after your last dose of ParaGuard before you begin dosing with Cupramine. Doing a partial water change is a good idea but not necessary.

Freshwater dips can help dislodge the parasite from the fish, so this might help the fish which are visibly struggling like your wrasse, however if the fish is already in so much distress, even if the dip is successful the fish might still die from the damage. It is worth a shot though. If you've never done a freshwater dip before, you need to match the pH of your tank water. This is a temporary treatment to remove some parasites and not a complete cure. Treatment with Cupramine will still be recommended.

Comment

Working...
    X