Using matrix carbon in a planted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using matrix carbon in a planted tank

I’m new to planted tanks and have read that carbon is harmful to planted aquariums because it adsorbs all the minerals and ferts plants need.
    since I read this on the intraweb I don’t fully trust the info and wanted to check here.

is it worthwhile or not to use matrix carbon in a planted tank. I have always used it before and want to continue using it but also want my plants to thrive.

Hello Schwartr,

All carbons release phosphates into the water and elevated phosphates in a planted aquarium can cause algae. Seachem's MatrixCarbon has the lowest leachable phosphate level on the market and while it is possible to use MatrixCarbon in a planted aquarium, we would instead recommend Renew or Purigen. Renew is a phosphate-free carbon substitute, it has a high pore # which gives it a slightly broader range of removal than Purigen and is ideal to use in planted tanks and marine tanks because it does not leach phosphates. Purigen will remove only large organic molecules that can break down into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and will have a higher capacity for organics than Renew.

You can certainly use any of our Flourish supplements with Renew and/or Purigen without worrying that the media could remove components of the supplements.

Hope this helps!

TechSupport SM

Comment

since I read this on the intraweb I don’t fully trust the info and wanted to check here.
      Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 14:09.

Comment

Always good to check! :)

Comment

Purigen will remove only large organic molecules that can break down into ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and will have a higher capacity for organics than Renew.
          Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Working...
          X