Clear All

• Purigen and Safe

Hi

Can you use Safe to recharge Purigen?

Thanks

Mark

Hi there, thanks for reaching out!

You certainly can use Safe in place of Prime. Here are the instructions:

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime® or 16 grams of Safe® per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Nice!

Thanks!

Comment

No problem, we're happy to help!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support KM View Post
          Hi there, thanks for reaching out!

You certainly can use Safe in place of Prime. Here are the instructions:

Regeneration: Soak in a 1:1 bleach:water solution for 24 hours in a non-metallic container in a well ventilated area and away from children. Use regular 8.25% hypochlorite household bleach (non-scented, no dyes, do not use a splash-less bleach). Rinse well, then soak for 8 hours with a solution containing 4 tablespoons of Prime® or 16 grams of Safe® per cup of water. Rinse well. For freshwater use, soak for 4 hours with a solution containing 2 tablespoon of buffer per cup of water (Discus Buffer®, Neutral Regulator®). Original color and full activity should now be restored and Purigen® is ready for reuse. Caution: some slime coat products may permanently foul Purigen® and render regeneration difficult. Do not reuse if odor of bleach/chlorine is detectable. In case of doubt, soak beads in small quantity of water and test for residual chlorine with a chlorine test kit.

Hope this helps!
          16g of Safe? That does not sound right.
          4 tablespoons = 59.14ml
          59.14 ml of Prime treats 591.4 gallons (59.14/5=11.828 (capfulls) x 50 = 591.4)
          16 grams of safe treats 3,840 gallons (1.25g of Safe treats 300 gal) (16/1.25=12.8x300=3840

Comment

Tech Support - Bump for for my question above

Comment

I never noticed that it reads weird

I found this link as I am using Safe today for the first time now my Prime ran out.

https://www.seachem.com/support/foru...igen-re-charge

I think the Moderator meant 1 gram of Safe equals 4 tables spoons, but I would like that confirmed if the Moderator can

Comment

Hello AV8TOR,

16 grams of Safe per cup of water is the correct dose for dechlorinating Purigen after recharging. This strong dose is recommend to ensure all residual bleach has been neutralized prior to using the recharged Purigen in an aquarium again.

dreamscape,

The measuring spoon included with Safe is 200 mg and is a fairly small scoop as far as such things go. Four (4) tablespoons would be in the order of tens of grams.

Regards,
                PE

Comment

if 16 grams is the correct amount of Safe, then why do you need so much less Prime?

Comment

Lol, yeah that's the reason I purchased Safe! Back to Prime then

But I agree I don't get that logic

So PE Moderator, how do I know how many cups of water I need to dechlorinate a particular amount of Purigen?

Comment

Hello Dreamscape,

I prefer to regenerate Purigen in a container with the water level an inch above the surface (if loose) or above the top of the packet (if a 100mL pre-packaged portion). If you're regenerating loose Purigen it can help to gently turn the media over a couple of times during regeneration using a plastic spoon (please wear gloves with bleach!) to make sure all of the media gets contact time with the solution.

Regards,
                      PE

Comment

Oh ok, I have been doing that right then

I have asked another question about Bleach containing Sodium Hydroxide, as apparently there is a difference between the Clorox Original and Clorox Regular. Not that they tell you on the bottle, you have to go on line and lookup the (M)SDS

Can't seem to find the regular in Canada, so the original contains Sodium Hydroxide, should I be concerned?
                        ​​​

Comment

And thanks for the prior reply

Comment

You'll want to find a sodium hypochlorite based bleach and not sodium hydroxide. It's the hypochlorite that's the important ingredient due to the way it interacts with the bound organics in the regeneration process.

I hope you can find a source for what you need!

Regards,
                            PE

Comment

Clorox Original contains 0.1% Sodium Hydroxide, it's around 5% Sodium Hypochlorite

You're saying 4 Tablespoons is 10g?

​​​i have a 50g bottle of Safe, 2 tablespoons is 30ml, that's more than have th bottle that weighs 50g?

Comment

Working...
                              X