Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Paraguard be used with a UV sterilizer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Paraguard be used with a UV sterilizer?

Hi,
    I have an outbreak of ich and velvet in both my planted quarantine tank and fry tank and although there doesn't seem to be many spots I have already lost a couple of my favorite Apistogramma Agassizii and am FREAKING OUT about the rest. I have ordered Paraguard and a uv sterilizer but its not here yet. Can I use them both together or should I use one and then the other? If this is the case how much time should there be between use of each product? Which one should I use first?. The tank also contains the rummy nose who brought the parasite with them (4 of these have also died) plus 3 otocinclus. The fry tank has a pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides, 22 fry (only just brought out of the cave) and 6 pygmy corys. Do I have to half dose the Paraguard for the fry and tetras? Please help!
    Thanks, Amba

Re: Can Paraguard be used with a UV sterilizer?

Thanks for the post and we are sorry to hear about your fish. Anytime you medicate, you should always turn off the UV sterilizer. Typically, UV sterilizers will break down the mediation, making it less effective. I would recommend using the ParaGuard until you have gotten rid of the ich, which can take up to 3-4 weeks. When dosing a tank with sensitive species or fry, it never hurts to start with a half dose initially to ensure everyone will tolerate the treatment. Than you can slowly move up to no more than the recommended amount on the label.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Hi,
      Thanks for the response, very good timing as the products arrived today. I have dosed the tanks with a half dose as suggested. What are signs of medication stress to look for be? I
      ncreased respiration & hanging near the surface? Once symptoms are gone how long should I continue to use the Paraguard for? And how long do I need to use it when introducing new fish? It doesn't say on the bottle.
      Thanks,
      Amba

Comment

Signs of stress include heavy breathing and hanging near the surface, clamped fins, darting, etc. If you are noticing these symptoms with only half dose, I would not recommend increasing the dose until you see that they are tolerating the treatment better. When dealing with parasites, you always want to treat for a minimum of three weeks, which will ensure that you eradicate them in all stages of their life cycle.

If you are using it as a prophylactic treatment when introducing new fish, we recommend at least a week for no signs of illness. If you notice any signs of disease, than treat appropriately. Typically, with fungal and bacterial infections, you will want to treat the fish until the symptoms disappear. Parasites need to be treated for at least 3 weeks.

Comment

Ok, thanks for your help. Wish me luck!

Comment

You are welcome and good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X