Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Cichlid salt as mineral supplement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Cichlid salt as mineral supplement?

Hi, I was wondering if your American Cichlid Salt would be a good idea for a planted aquarium with Angelfish and other Amazonian fish? Or would Equilibrium be the better choice? I have wellwater that is consistently very soft (less than 3 degrees GH and KH hardness) with a pH of 6.2. I have been using Equilibrium, but see that the cichlid salt has a few more minerals. The thing that concerns me about the salt vs. equilibrium is that the salt is adding chloride ions, while the Equilibrium uses sulfates.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: American Cichlid salt as mineral supplement?

Thanks for the post!

For a planted aquarium, you will want to use Equilibrium for your general hardness supplement. The American Cichlid Salt contains sodium and chloride ions, which can be detrimental to plants. They tend to burn stems and roots when used continuously. Equilibrium was specifically designed for planted aquariums and will increase your GH by using sulfate salts vs chloride salts. They are completely safe for use with plants.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and it was as I suspected. I'll stick with Equilibrium.

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...
        X