No announcement yet.

why is flourish excel dosed how it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: why is flourish excel dosed how it is?

thanks, i can kinda guess how it works, but i think its weird seachem cant post on the topic.

Comment

http://www.aquabotanic.com/carbon.html
      interview with Dr Gregory Morin. the part im interested is the last part, about algae not being able to use it.

rather then assume seachem and the government has some secret deal with the usage of excel, i would assume this is a legal technicality, i curious as what that is.

Comment

I don't really care if it's legal or not. If it's true that excel works like an algaecide by using it's intial dosage (for water changes or on 1st time applications,etc.), and also acts as carbon source for most plants, I would use it. However, it seems that the concentration of this chemical per bottle is too low. I would expend in about a week or two.

Comment

Flourish Excel is not patented. When you patent a product, it costs a significant amount of money to do so. In effect, once you patent it, you, as the patent-holder, are then responsible for making sure it does not get copied. This means that anytime some company or individual tries to mimic the product, you must not only be the one to discover this, but you also must spend enormous amounts of money going around and suing everyone. Sure, Flourish Excel is a popular product and all, but it does not generate near enough capital for us to reasonably justify patenting it. Additionally, as you touched on, even if you put a US patent on something, it does not prevent its replication overseas.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support LK View Post
            Flourish Excel is not patented. When you patent a product, it costs a significant amount of money to do so. In effect, once you patent it, you, as the patent-holder, are then responsible for making sure it does not get copied. This means that anytime some company or individual tries to mimic the product, you must not only be the one to discover this, but you also must spend enormous amounts of money going around and suing everyone. Sure, Flourish Excel is a popular product and all, but it does not generate near enough capital for us to reasonably justify patenting it. Additionally, as you touched on, even if you put a US patent on something, it does not prevent its replication overseas.
            thats understandable if you dont have a patent, i thought i remember reading a post some years ago that made it seem like you would be applying for one, and once obtained more info would be given. perhaps i misread, or the poster was misinformed. also didnt know a patent holder was responsible for enforcement of the patent.

Comment

Originally posted by LabTest57 View Post
              I don't really care if it's legal or not. If it's true that excel works like an algaecide by using it's intial dosage (for water changes or on 1st time applications,etc.), and also acts as carbon source for most plants, I would use it. However, it seems that the concentration of this chemical per bottle is too low. I would expend in about a week or two.
              you mean if excel is legal or not? so the sale of a product that acts like a algaecide itself may be illegal, unless registered as such.

i assumed they couldnt discuss it because people would construe it as being marketed as algaecide, not because it would be self incrimination. i guess i will drop the subject then.

Comment

We really appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sostoudt View Post
                  i do have access to a college chemistry and biology labs, im sure the TA would indulge me provided the equipment is available.
                  Can you provide with with access? I am going to do my project on biology homework.

Comment

Working...
                  X