Acid Buffer directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acid Buffer directions

In the directions for the Acid Buffer product, it states that 1/4 teaspoon (2g) for 20 US gallons daily is a safe dose. I found that 1/4 teaspoon of the product weighs 1 gram using a Seachem digital measuring spoon. What is the correct safe daily amount to use by weight?

Thanks for the post, BarbaraF!
    Typically, we recommend using the Acid Buffer along with the Alkaline Buffer to target and stabilize the pH and KH. If you are consistently using the Acid Buffer alone, you run the risk of bottoming out your pH and KH, as it is an acid that will convert the KH into CO2, thus reducing the pH. Can you provide any photos of the measured powder in the digital measuring spoon scale for reference?

Comment

Sorry, my error. didn't hit the tare button first. 1/4 tsp does equal 2 g. I am using both the Acid buffer and the alkaline buffer but with very hard tap water. I have a 10 Gal. tank with 2 mature swordtails and am trying to achieve a Ph of 7.2 with a KH of > 80 mg/l for buffering. My tap water is Ph 7.0, GH 240 mg/l, KH 80 mg/l. I mix 3/4 tap water to 1/4 RO water to lower the GH and add Prime. Also add Replenish for the RO portion. Then add Alkaline Buffer to achieve KH of 80 mg/l. Then add Acid Buffer for Ph of 7.2. However the KH now drops below 80 mg./l and the GH increases. This seems an endless loop. How do I get a Ph of 7.2 and a KH of 80 mg/l or better for good buffering?
      Thanks,
      Barbara

Comment

When you add the Alkaline Buffer, what does the pH go up to? What type of fish do you keep? Most tropical fish will adapt to a pH of 7.0. Having a stable pH is much more important than chasing a specific number, especially when it's only 2 points above 7.

Comment

With the minimum dose of 1/2 tsp (3g.) the Ph rises about .2 units and ther KH rises about 20 mg./l. As I said in my second post I have 2 mature swordtails (red wag) and 1 albino Cory catfish. I would like to achieve the slightly alkaline and moderately hard water that they like but still have good buffering of the Ph. Is the KH still a good indicator of buffering when using a combination of the Acid and Alkaline Buffers? I have had three semesters of undergraduate chemistry although 65 years ago but I find it difficult to work this problem out without knowing what the buffering chemicals are.
          Thank you for your help,
          Barbara

Comment

Yes, the KH is still a good buffering indicator when using both together. I have a helpful calculator I can share with you, but it will not attach on this platform. Can you please email us at [email protected] and we can share the calculator with you. It will help to target the specific pH and KH that you desire using both buffers.

Comment

Working...
            X