Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Seachem Matrix and Denitrate

Hi,

I have Seachem Matrix in my canister filter and Seachem denitrate in my internal filter (low flow).

During one occasion when my fishes are sick, I added medication in the form of Potassium Permanganate causing the seachem matrix to turn purple. After repeated washing, the media are still stained purple.

On a separate occasion, I added some sort of blue medication for ich (either malachite green or methylene blue I can't be too sure but the liquid is blue in colour). I turned off my canister filter but left my internal filter on for circulation and aeration. This caused the denitrate to be stained blue.

My question is, are these media still usable despite being stained purple or blue? Does being stained affect the performance of the media?

Re: Question on Seachem Matrix and Denitrate

Hello Collin,

The Matrix should be just fine, even though it has turned been stained. Matrix is a very porous media, and it is more susceptible to absorb color bodies from certain medications. My recommendation would be to rinse the media well and place it back in your filter. After rinsing, you should add some Stability which will help to add back any of the bacterial colonies that may have become compromised during the treatment and or rinsing process. Stability is our beneficial bacterial supplement that contains aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria that will consume ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. If you would like to read further about Stability, follow the link below:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Comment

Hi TechSupport,

Thank you for the response. :)

I am currently using the SeaChem Stability in my filters. I find it extremely helpful and fast in establishing the beneficial bacteria in my biofilters.

However, while it does a great job in facilitating the removal of ammonia and nitrite (both 0ppm), my nitrate level is hovering around 40-60ppm.

As I am currently running a bare tank system (without plants), what would you recommend to help bring down the nitrate levels?

Thanks!

Comment

You turned off your filter? I'm wondering for how long you did this.

Nitrates are removed by water changes.

Comment

Hello Collin,

You are most welcome. It would seem that at some point that you have lost a large quantity of anaerobic bacteria in your system which is allowing for nitrates to climb. The aerobic bacteria can colonize on most external surfaces in the aquarium, while the anaerobic bacteria is more limited and may only be colonizing on the internal pores of your Matrix media. It is quite common if the bio-load of your system exceeds the bio-filter (beneficial bacteria) that you can get elevated nitrates in the system. This is most common in systems containing goldfish, cichlids, plecostomus and or an overload of fish or other inhabitants.

You may benefit from doing small water changes (10-15% at a time), using Prime every 48 hours to detoxify, and/or by dosing Stability directly on the filter media to allow optimum proximity of the anaerobic bacteria to the filter media.

I hope this helps. Have a great day!

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I will reply to both responses in this.

1) Hi Biscuit, nice to hear from a fellow forum member!

I turned off the canister filter for 3 days as recommended by the medication instructions. I understand that nitrates are removed by water changes, which I am doing weekly changes. However, I am just wondering if stability is as effective in dealing with nitrates as well as ammonia and nitrites, or is there something wrong with my setup.

I've read that partial water changes does not solve the nitrates problem permanently. So I'm just wondering if there are any other methods of reducing nitrates. Right now, I'm considering using floating aquatic plants. Your thoughts would be most welcome!

2) Hi Tech Support AH, thanks for your insightful response!

The system has been running for 3 to 4 months now, and the nitrate levels are still at 40 - 60 ppm. The fishes (goldfishes) does not seem to show any signs of stress with this level of nitrate. However, I'm worried problems may appear in the long term. I have stopped adding Stability once I noticed my ammonia levels have reached zero. Would you recommend to doze an higher amount of Stability into my system to build up the anaerobic bacteria in my filters? I will follow your advice and do a daily 10% water change everyday to bring the nitrate levels down.

Comment

Originally posted by Biscuit View Post
              You turned off your filter? I'm wondering for how long you did this.

Nitrates are removed by water changes.
              That is not 100% correct. Nitrates can be removed by a suit of anaerobic bacteria that have evolved a special enzyme that liberates nitrates in water into a gas which diffuses into the atmosphere. That is the goal of using SeaChems De-Nitrate, and other good bio-media. Try to avoid curt comments like that on forums which have no edification of its users.

Comment

Working...
              X