Extra Matrix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Matrix?

Hello, I'm using Matrix as the bio-media in my freshwater tank and I happen to have some extra since my filter is an HOB. Can I put the extra Matrix in/on the substrate in my tank? If so, will it do any good in terms of increasing the biological filtering capacity or does Matrix really need to be in the filter to be effective? Thanks in advance!

Re: Extra Matrix?

While I am no expert, I suspect that is one of those things that "won't hurt, but won't help".

Specifically, while the Matrix added to your substrate will provide surface area for bacterial colonization, the lack of water flow over the media will limit how productive the bacteria can be. Having said that, the lack of water flow will encourage anaerobic bacteria growth for denitirification, which is good, but again I think the amount of nitrate reduction will be limited without having at least SOME flow of water past the material.

The again, I could be totally wrong ...

Comment

Hmmm, that's what I was thinking too. I have pretty decent waterflow in my tank so maybe if I put the extra Matrix on the substrate near the filter intake, it will help since there is at least some movement there...

Comment

Thanks for the input, evangemeren!

Like, evangmeren mentioned, it won't hurt, but really won't help that much either. Since the Matrix is so porous, it can be tricky getting it to stay at the bottom of the tank. It will probably get blown all around with the slightest bit of flow. It is best to keep the Matrix in the filter where it can receive maximum water flow and remain in place.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
        X