Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filter Floss, Purigen and Matrix and flow order

Hello!

I have a 20 gallon tank and I use an Eheim 2041 filter (flowrate of 150 gallon/hour).
    It is divided in two sections and I'm currently using:

Intake water -> Filter Floss -> Biofilter Cartridge
    Intake Water -> Filter Cartridge (240 cm³)

I read here that the ideal water flow through filter media is: Mechanical filtration (filter floss, sponges, etc.) -> Chemical filtration (MatrixCarbon, PhosGuard, Purigen, carbon, etc) -> Biological filtration (Matrix). However, I don't have space to do all three like that. Since I have two outlets, I'm thinking about doing this:

Intake water -> Filter Floss -> Biological Filtration (Matrix)
    Intake Water -> Filter Floss -> Chemical filtration (Purigen)

Although not ideal, is that going to work?

Also, is the flowrate ok?

Thank you!

Thanks for the post, lucasm! Yes, all of the media you listed should function very well in the environment you described :).

I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support NS View Post
      Thanks for the post, lucasm! Yes, all of the media you listed should function very well in the environment you described :).

I hope this helps!
      Thank you for your help!
      Already bought both products and will use them!

One quick question: can/should I wash the Matrix on tap water before adding it to the filter?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by lucasm View Post

Thank you for your help!
        Already bought both products and will use them!

One quick question: can/should I wash the Matrix on tap water before adding it to the filter?

Thank you
        You can do a quick rinse, as a little dust may be present. If you use tap water the do a quick rinse or dip with Prime or similar before adding it to your filter.

Comment

Thanks for the posts lucasm and Klinakorr! That's exactly right Klinakorr - if you rinse Matrix with tap water, I'd recommend ensuring that any residual chlorine or chloramine have been neutralized by the Prime before adding the Matrix to the filter. Alternatively you can rinse the media with tank water!

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
          X