Seiryu (Ying?) Stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seiryu (Ying?) Stones

I have a ten gal with some natural gravel and seiryu stones. It also has some driftwood and plants. I'm wondering if the acid buffer will ever work its way through to completely stabilizing given that the seiryu stones seem to be an infinite (?) supply of solubles. I didn't use muriatic acid. Is it hopeless? Aiming for about 6.3 ph, shoots right back up after a day. I've been dosing daily, but I haven't been using the alkaline buffer as is recommended. What do you think? Should I change tack, add the alkalinity buffer to the routine per the directions...? It's been less than a week.
    Last edited by BuildinATenner; 09-16-2022, 02:30. Reason: Clarified how long I've been dosing

Thanks for the post, BuildinATenner!
    Since the stones will continuously release carbonate into the water column, it is going to be a bit difficult to counteract that release. I would recommend adding some aqua soil such as our aquavitro aquasolum, which will help to acidify the water. When using the Acid Buffer, it is important to also use the Alkaline Buffer to target and lock in the pH. What is the current KH in the aquarium? What is your desired KH? What is the current pH?

Comment

Tested today. KH 3, GH ~8. Current pH about 7.4. I’ve transitioned today to using 1/2 tsp of alkaline buffer and the same of acid buffer. If this doesn’t work, I probably will switch the substrate to amazonia v2 (sorry, sorry).

I’m trying to keep 10 cardinals, 2-5 dwarf shrimp eg mixed cherries and blue velvet, and two-three honey gouramis. Is that too hard an overstock? There are a lot of hiding places, plants, driftwood, and so on, and I do weekly 30% water changes with ro water. I figure better to have 3-5 too many fish than to keep social fish alone or in tiny groups. With those fish, I’m aiming for probably a KH of 2, but 0-4 is fine.
      Last edited by BuildinATenner; 09-16-2022, 23:15. Reason: Misspelled blue

Comment

If you are finding that the pH is still too high, then reduce the amount of Alkaline Buffer in the ratio. I think that should be fine as long as they have plenty of plant cover and driftwood, as well as, keeping up with routine water changes so that the water quality doesn't decline. Be sure to have a good biological filter in place such as Matrix and I would recommend Purigen as your chemical filter media.

Comment

Thank you. I’ve been using 1:1 acid to alkaline, but the ph is bouncing back by the next day. It’s been a few days now. Should I really reduce the alkaline any further? Also, how long should I persist before changing tack?

Comment

I would at least try to reduce the Alkaline Buffer to 0.5:1 to see where that takes your pH. It might just be that the stones are overpowering the buffering capacity in the tank.

Comment

The hardness is going too high… Giving up and accepting the yellow from peat moss. Cardinals like the tint anyway—peat is basically made for cardinals. Thank you for your help.

Comment

No worries! Let us know if you have questions in the future!

Comment

Working...
                X