High Ph and KH, No GH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Ph and KH, No GH

Hi! New here and tried searching for people in a similar situation, to no avail. I’m trying to reach certain water parameters and am struggling a bit.
    My tap water parameters:
    250ppm+ KH (you read that right)
    ~8.8 ph
    0 (zero) GH
    I’ve had success getting these under control enough to have some freshwater tropical fish able to tolerate it healthily in one tank but am trying to set up a new 40 gal tank for axolotl. I’ve been able to successfully raise GH using Replenish but am struggling to fight the Ph down to about 7.0 because of the high KH.

Any suggestions on how to maintain increased GH, lower Ph and KH and keep all of them stable enough to successfully support healthy axolotl?

Thanks for the post, PhilPrimeau!

If you don't plan to have live plants in the 40 gallon, I would recommend using our Acid Buffer alone to bring the pH and KH down. Once the pH is closer to 7.0, you can then use the Neutral Regulator to lock it in. It may take several times in order for it to remain stable, but once you get it stabilized, it should stay there until your next water change (as long as you are doing weekly water changes). You would do the same process to the replacement tap water, then get it inside the tank to keep everything stable.

I hope this helps! Let us know if you need further assistance!

Comment

That’s sort of what I was thinking but wanted your input. Thank you so much! I’ll give it a try!

Comment

Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Just wanted to let you know that the process worked perfect. Thank you so much!

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know! :)

Comment

Just following up on here again, it appears the process outlined is working well for maintaining the ph and keeping it constant through water changes…however my KH is still very high. Any way to lower the KH without changing my ph (much) as it currently hangs around 6.8-7.2?

Comment

Glad to hear it is still going well! Unfortunately, if you try to lower your KH, you will also lower the pH. If the pH is stable, I honestly would not worry too much about the KH.

Comment

I'm a bit confused about this process of lowering pH. Mine runs around 7.5 to 7.6 and the KH of my water is around 180. My goal is to stabilize pH around 7.0 if possible. I have tried the Neutral Regulator product and it has no effect at all. This is a 75-gallon freshwater tank.

I have added the recommended amount of Acid Buffer for three days, and my latest water test seems to indicate that the water pH has gone UP slightly (more alkaline). That seems odd. So, I have Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer and Neutral Regulator here. What is the best course of action? I don't understand the way you combine these products to achieve the end result. Oh, and this IS a planted tank.

Comment

Thanks for the post, Eldon!
                    We don't recommend using the Neutral Regulator in a planted tank since it is a phosphate based buffer. It won't harm anything but in a planted tank, it is important to maintain a proper ratio of your macro elements (NPK) and using a buffer with phosphates makes it more difficult. The Acid and Alkaline Buffers are carbonate based and are ideal for use in a planted aquarium. If you are trying to lower your pH from a high level, we recommend using the Acid Buffer along first to bring it down closer to your target, then use the combination of Acid and Alkaline Buffer to lock it in place. After using the Acid Buffer alone, test your pH and Alkalinity at that time. Based on those results, we can add the appropriate combination to achieve your desired levels. Let us know what those levels are and we can help with the calculation! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support AN View Post
                      Thanks for the post, Eldon!
                      We don't recommend using the Neutral Regulator in a planted tank since it is a phosphate based buffer. It won't harm anything but in a planted tank, it is important to maintain a proper ratio of your macro elements (NPK) and using a buffer with phosphates makes it more difficult. The Acid and Alkaline Buffers are carbonate based and are ideal for use in a planted aquarium. If you are trying to lower your pH from a high level, we recommend using the Acid Buffer along first to bring it down closer to your target, then use the combination of Acid and Alkaline Buffer to lock it in place. After using the Acid Buffer alone, test your pH and Alkalinity at that time. Based on those results, we can add the appropriate combination to achieve your desired levels. Let us know what those levels are and we can help with the calculation! :)
                      Thanks, when you say "test your pH and Alkalinity" are you talking about the same thing? Or is there an "alkalinity" test I should be aware of apart from pH? I have the standard API testing kit plus the tests for GH and KH.

Comment

KH would be your alkalinity test. :)

Comment

Working...
                        X