Paraguard and Velvet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paraguard and Velvet

I have a 130 liter aquarium that practically all fish have velvet disease (Oodinium) so I chose to treat the fish in the main aquarium: 1 Rainbow Shark, 3 Synodontis Petricola, 1 Betta plakat, 10 Mollies, 3 Platy, 3 Neocaridina Shrimp, some plants.

Because of the unscaled fishes (1 Rainbow Shark, 3 Synodontis Petricola) and the shrimps, I chose to treat Velvet with Paraguard.

I increased the temperature to 31ÂșC and I'm applying Paraguard every day. I still don't see results, but I'm applying it only 8 days ago and I intend to apply it for 21 days.

My doubts are:
    1. Besides taking care of the Fishes will the Paraguard kill the Velvet of the whole aquarium or will I need to dismantle the aquarium after the fish are well?
    2. Do you have any other suggestions for my case?
    Thanks,

Thanks for the post, Alf2020!

I will answer your questions in the order they were asked for sake of clarity:

1. ParaGuard is effective against Velvet when caught early and depending on how severe the infestation. If after the 21 days, you are still seeing outward symptoms on the fish i.e. spots, flashing, scratching, etc., you may need to treat with our copper based medication, Cupramine. You should not have to dismantle the aquarium after you have eradicated the parasite with the medications.

2. It is normal for you to see the fish get better and then worse in the first 1-2 weeks of treatment. As this is a result of the parasites going through the life cycle stages. ParaGuard should be dosed daily according to the instructions and you should always monitor the fish for signs of excessive stress i.e. heavy breathing, laying at the bottom of the aquarium, etc. The medication only lasts 24 hours in the water column and why it needs to be dosed daily.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support AN View Post
      Thanks for the post, Alf2020!

I will answer your questions in the order they were asked for sake of clarity:

1. ParaGuard is effective against Velvet when caught early and depending on how severe the infestation. If after the 21 days, you are still seeing outward symptoms on the fish i.e. spots, flashing, scratching, etc., you may need to treat with our copper based medication, Cupramine. You should not have to dismantle the aquarium after you have eradicated the parasite with the medications.

2. It is normal for you to see the fish get better and then worse in the first 1-2 weeks of treatment. As this is a result of the parasites going through the life cycle stages. ParaGuard should be dosed daily according to the instructions and you should always monitor the fish for signs of excessive stress i.e. heavy breathing, laying at the bottom of the aquarium, etc. The medication only lasts 24 hours in the water column and why it needs to be dosed daily.

I hope this helps!
      The copper based medication, Cupramine, can be used with unscaled fishes (1 Rainbow Shark, 3 Synodontis Petricola)? Do you have any other suggestions for my case?

Thanks

Comment

Yes, Cupramine can be used on scaleless fish, however, we can't guarantee that they will tolerate the treatment in every scenario. If you choose to use Cupramine, it is best to start with a low dose and gradually work your way up to no more than the recommended therapeutic dose for freshwater (0.25mg/L). If excessive stress is noted, then remove the Cupramine with water changes and MatrixCarbon or CupriSorb.

Another option would be to use our MetroPlex in a medicated food mix as follows (only after other medications have been removed):

1 tablespoon food (pellet or frozen work well)
        1 scoop of MetroPlex
        1 scoop of Focus
        Soak in GarlicGuard for 15-20 mins.
        Feed this daily for a minimum of 3 weeks

If your fish is not eating, you can dose the MetroPlex directly to the water column according to the instructions on the label. I hope this helps!

Comment

I used Paraguard for 21 days on my scaleless fish. How long should I wait to apply Cupramine to my scaleless fish in the same aquarium? Thanks

Originally posted by Tech Support AN View Post
          Yes, Cupramine can be used on scaleless fish, however, we can't guarantee that they will tolerate the treatment in every scenario. If you choose to use Cupramine, it is best to start with a low dose and gradually work your way up to no more than the recommended therapeutic dose for freshwater (0.25mg/L). If excessive stress is noted, then remove the Cupramine with water changes and MatrixCarbon or CupriSorb.

Comment

ParaGuard only remains active for 24 hours, so as long as you have waited 24 hours after the last dose of ParaGuard, you should be safe to begin a Cupramine treatment.

Comment

Working...
            X