Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to add Seachem Metronidazole with Focus to Pellets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to add Seachem Metronidazole with Focus to Pellets?

Hi,

I have a 120 gallon aquarium with 9 African cichlids and I've noticed that 3 of my fish have sunken bellies and one of them has damaged fins and tail, also.

All of them are eating and one of them remains hiding, except when he eats. I saw white stringy poop a couple of times and the fish with the damaged fins that was previously hiding but it's not hiding that much anymore. Now, he is constantly being chased by my male Venustus.

The water parameters are good, Nitrates were a little high, but that's fixed now.

I've treated them with Jungle Parasite Clear first, then I've tried API General Cure, and on Sunday night I tried Seachem Metro + Focus for the first time since the other methods didn't work.

This is where my question comes, I feed them pellets and I would prefer not to change their food, unless it's necessary, I know that frozen food is recommended when blending with Seachem's meds. What I did is get a very small amount of tank water in a plastic cup and add 24 measures of Metro and about 120 measures of Focus, since they recommend one measure or two of Metro for every 10 gallons and my tank is 120 g. I used 24 measures of Metro and 120 measures of Focus because the ratio is Focus 5:1 to Metro. Then, I put the pellets in the cup and mixed everything and let it sit for about 20 minutes. When feeding the fish I made sure that all of them ate at least two pellets and the rest of the mixture I dropped it in the water after I was done feeding. Did I do something wrong or that is the way to do it?

By the way, I've used more than one bottle of Focus, if I plan on treating every 48 hours for the next 10 days I will need 15 bottles of Focus and about 4-5 bottles of Metro which is A LOT! and a lot of $$, too. Is there a way to use less medication maybe mixing according to food portion instead of water volume? Or using with frozen food, although I don't feed that to my fish. What about giving them the med without food? You are the experts, please let me know what's best.

I have a QT but there are new fish in quarantine right now, so that's not an option and I prefer to be safe and treat the whole tank since this has been going on for about a month now.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How to add Seachem Metronidazole with Focus to Pellets?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. You have definitely chosen the correct medications for the symptoms your fish are showing and I should be able to make this treatment much more affordable and easier on you. The amount of medication you used was the amount to treat the volume of the aquarium. This is only necessary if the fish are not feeding. Feeding the Metronidazole is far more effective because it is the metabolite of the medication that kills the internal parasites. Because the fish consume the water they are surrounded by, treating the water is also effective but feeding will deliver a stronger, more effective dose. As for how much medication to use for the food mix, if you look at the directions on the bottle, you will see that there are dosing instructions for this following the dosing for the main aquarium. 1 measure of Metronidazole per tablespoon of food. However, I can elaborate on this a little and provide you with instructions for a very effective medicated food mix.

While frozen foods work well, I feel that pellets and flake food work equally as well or even slightly better. Because these foods are dry, they have the capability of absorbing more liquid than frozen foods. This means that if you dissolve the medication in a liquid it can actually be absorbed into the pellets, again delivering a more concentrated dose. I generally start by measuring out enough medication for the amount of pellets I will be using and placing this medication in a contain by itself. I then add our GarlicGuard, helpful for it's ability to cover up the taste of the med but also for it's probiotic properties, enough to cover the amount of pellets I will be adding( as most pellets are floating, a rough estimate on volume should be fine.) Using a spoon or other implement, I stir the medication around in the GarlicGuard until I get as much dissolved as possible. I then add one measure of Focus per tablespoon of pellets and blend this in, it will not dissolve but try to break it up and keep it in suspension. At this point I add the pellets and allow them to sit until they are completely saturated and feed them to the fish. I like to feed this mixture daily for about 7 days. At this point I go back to regular food and observe the fish for additional symptoms. If such symptoms become evident, I will continue with treatment for another 7 days. Doing a week long treatment like this once ever few months or when adding new fish will also help prevent future outbreaks.

I hope that you find this helpful and that you are able to get your fish into better shape. You are definitely working with the correct medications. If you have additional questions please let us know.

Comment

Thank you very much for the great help and fast response. I will follow your instructions.

Comment

You are very welcome!

Comment

Can I dissolve it in aquarium water instead of GarlicGuard while I don't have GarlicGuard?

Comment

Yes, you can most certainly do this. GarlicGuard just provides the extra benefit of enticing the fish to take the food in readily, while also providing a source of Vitamin C for immune system support.

Comment

Great. What I did last night was put a little bit, very little, aquarium water in a plastic cup, I then added one measure of Metro (using the little measurer spoon that comes with Seachem's Metro) and stirred it, after that I added one measure of Focus and stirred it and then I added about half a tablespoon of pellets (and this was still too much food), I stirred the food and let it sit for about 15 minutes, after that I just stirred a little bit more and gave it to the fish, the left over liquid (water + meds) I just put it in the tank, I also feed my hospital tank with that, last night, and I had a left over of about 5-10 pellets.

I feed my fish twice a day, in the morning and at night, I'm only giving them the meds with the night feeding.

Please let me know if I'm on the right path. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

You are definitely doing everything correctly! Like you have been doing, you really only need to feed the medicated food mix at one feeding daily. Be sure to only feed as many pellets as your fish will consume in 1-2 minutes, as any uneaten pellets will contribute to the organic load. Best of luck to you, fddlss!

Comment

Perfect. Thank you.

I will continue feeding like this for 7 days and if symptoms are still present I will treat them for another 7 days and see what happens.

Comment

You are very welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support MS View Post
                      Hello,

Thank you for your question. You have definitely chosen the correct medications for the symptoms your fish are showing and I should be able to make this treatment much more affordable and easier on you. The amount of medication you used was the amount to treat the volume of the aquarium. This is only necessary if the fish are not feeding. Feeding the Metronidazole is far more effective because it is the metabolite of the medication that kills the internal parasites. Because the fish consume the water they are surrounded by, treating the water is also effective but feeding will deliver a stronger, more effective dose. As for how much medication to use for the food mix, if you look at the directions on the bottle, you will see that there are dosing instructions for this following the dosing for the main aquarium. 1 measure of Metronidazole per tablespoon of food. However, I can elaborate on this a little and provide you with instructions for a very effective medicated food mix.

While frozen foods work well, I feel that pellets and flake food work equally as well or even slightly better. Because these foods are dry, they have the capability of absorbing more liquid than frozen foods. This means that if you dissolve the medication in a liquid it can actually be absorbed into the pellets, again delivering a more concentrated dose. I generally start by measuring out enough medication for the amount of pellets I will be using and placing this medication in a contain by itself. I then add our GarlicGuard, helpful for it's ability to cover up the taste of the med but also for it's probiotic properties, enough to cover the amount of pellets I will be adding( as most pellets are floating, a rough estimate on volume should be fine.) Using a spoon or other implement, I stir the medication around in the GarlicGuard until I get as much dissolved as possible. I then add one measure of Focus per tablespoon of pellets and blend this in, it will not dissolve but try to break it up and keep it in suspension. At this point I add the pellets and allow them to sit until they are completely saturated and feed them to the fish. I like to feed this mixture daily for about 7 days. At this point I go back to regular food and observe the fish for additional symptoms. If such symptoms become evident, I will continue with treatment for another 7 days. Doing a week long treatment like this once ever few months or when adding new fish will also help prevent future outbreaks.

I hope that you find this helpful and that you are able to get your fish into better shape. You are definitely working with the correct medications. If you have additional questions please let us know.
                      Thanks! This helped me as well

Comment

Glad to hear it! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Comment

I made a medicated food mix with pellets as per your instructions above and my pellets became kind of a mush. Did I maybe add too much Garlic Guard or is that normal? If normal, do you have any suggestions on how to best distribute the food into the tank? Currently I'm having to just dip out a tiny bit at a time and put it in which is taking forever.

Comment

It is completely normal for any dry food to become like a paste when mixing liquid and antibiotic. When I do this I just use a small scoop (or my fingers) to distribute the food to the tank. If you would like to put it in the refrigerator and let it dry out some before feeding, you can do that as well.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X