Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowerhorn is sick. What treatment should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowerhorn is sick. What treatment should I use?

Flowerhorn is sick. She is having some kind of external infection. I treated her with Paraguard according to the instruction for a week. The external infection is getting better.

She is in a quarantine tank right now. Doing 20% to 25% water change daily (Prime & Salt)
    She is not eating about 1 week and now having clear stringy poop.
    What treatment should I use? Should I continue to use Paraguard for it? OR I need to switch it to some other treatment for the Bloat situation?

Thank you very much,

Raymond
    Attached Files

Re: Flowerhorn is sick. What treatment should I use?

Hi Raymond,

If the infection is improving, then I would keep treating with ParaGuard for now. If it stops getting better or starts getting worse, you could try an antibiotic like Kanaplex.

The clear stringy poo could be a sign of an internal infection. Metroplex is effective against some internal parasites and infections and might help her recover if you don't see improvement with ParaGuard alone.

Comment

Will is be OK to use Metroplex and Paraguard together?

The fish staying on top of the water most of the time.
      Looks like having some HITH as well.

I'm using Metroplex every other day and 10 to 15 % water change with prime.
      What else I can do to treat the white poop and the HITH.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate less than 5
      Temp 80 F

Thanks again,

Raymondas

Comment

I wouldn't dose ParaGuard and Metroplex in the water together. If you need to treat with both at the same time, MetroPlex and Focus can be used to make a medicated food to feed the fish and this would keep it from interacting negatively with the ParaGuard in the water.

Sometimes fish stay near the top of the water when they are having trouble breathing. Increasing aeration may help increase dissolved oxygen in the water.

Comment

I already add the air stone in the hospital tank. Beside the air stone should I put the filter in there?
          I do have few filters available.

Right now I only treat it with Metroplex.

Last night when I doing the water change.
          I found out there is couple small holes near the end tail.
          Holes with some blood.
          I put her to the small bracket with air stone and clean the whole hospital tank.
          When I was holding her I can feel her stomach is pretty hard. Is that normal?

Right now I only put new water into the tank with Prime.
          Before she is staying on top of the water.
          After the water change she stays at the bottom of the tank.

Why should I do now? Stop the medic? or should I keep dosing Metroplex or switching to some other medic?

I will take some photo tonight when I get home.

Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciate.
          She means a lot to me with some special meaning.

Thanks again,

Raymond

Comment

I already add the air stone in the hospital tank and treat it with Metroplex.
            Beside the air stone should I put the filter in there?
            I do have few filters available.

Last night when I doing the water change.
            I found out there is couple small holes near the end tail. Those holes with some blood in it.

I grab her with the wet towel and put her in the small bracket.
            There is some blood on her side as well. The skin looks a bit pail but there is no obvious damage on her side.
            When I was holding her I can feel her stomach is pretty hard.

I try to give her some mini pellets soak with Seachem Garlic. But she is still not eating at all.
            I can try to put the Metroplex and Focus together but if she not eating.
            I don't think I can force her to take the pellets.

I clean the whole hospital tank completely and right now I only put new water into the tank with Prime.

Before she is staying on top of the water.
            After the water change she stays at the bottom of the tank.

What should I do now? Stop the medic? or should I keep dosing Metroplex or switching to some other medic?

I will take some photo tonight when I get home. Hope she can make it and recover soon.

Any suggestion or recommendation will be greatly appreciate.
            She means a lot to me with some special meaning.

Thanks again,

Raymond

Comment

You can choose to add a filter without chemical filtration media as this may help with flow and oxygenation of the water in a quarantine tank.

You can continue treatment with the MetroPlex if you wish, however if you do not see improvements in 7 days, I would recommend that you switch treatments.

The behavior that you are describing sound like normal stress behavior, so keeping water conditions such as pH and temperature in optimum range and keeping ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in check will be most beneficial.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!

Comment

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Which one should I switch if metroplex didn't work?

Back to paraguard or something else?

Thanks again,

Raymond

Comment

ParaGuard is a great option as it is broad range and will treat parasites, bacterial infections and fungal infections. This is very ideal if you are unsure of what you are treating.

I hope this is helpful!

Comment

Hmmm. The next thing I would try would be Kanaplex. It is pretty effective against many bacteria that can plague aquarium fish and it is absorbed internally (or can be fed) so it can help when there are internal issues.

Keep dosing the Metroplex for now. It is absorbed by the fish so it can still be helpful dosed directly to the water; it doesn't have to be administered in a food.

I hope your fish makes a full recovery. I know that dealing with disease is frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                    X