salinity/ro/di

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salinity/ro/di

i experimented on few things as i thought i have some sort of parasite or fungus infection as i cant find sulfaflex/kanaflex

1. i dose aqua vitro salinity 1.5 liter mix @1,026 sg per 20 G
    2. ro/di

after a few days the kok not only returned to normal size but a bit bigger than before
    and after a week or so the white patches in the fin subsided if not totally gone (it could be just molting)

is that an indication that my GH is not high enough before the reason of kok shrinking?
    can i just double or triple the dosage of fresh trace instead of using replenish to keep the right GH?

Re: salinity/ro/di

I want to clarify a few things to make sure I'm understanding you and anyone else reading the forum can follow along. I'm guessing you are treating a flowerhorn? "Kok" is a term that can refer to the enlarged nuchal hump on the head of flowerhorns. The hump is fleshy and can increase or decrease in size depending on the health and dominance of the fish.

Since the health of the fish improved with the addition of saltwater, that would suggest that the tank was lacking in GH, KH, or trace minerals since water prepared with Salinity would add all three. My guess would be that GH would be the most likely to impact this since it plays the biggest role in osmoregulation. It could also be a combination of all three.

Increasing the dose of Fresh Trace would increase the available trace minerals, but it wouldn't significantly impact the overall GH. You could increase your dose of Replenish to increase the GH. Alternately, we have a couple of other products which can be used to increase GH: Equilibrium, which is formulated for planted tanks; and American Cichlid Salt which is formulated to replicate the mineral content of South and Central American waters.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support DG View Post
      I want to clarify a few things to make sure I'm understanding you and anyone else reading the forum can follow along. I'm guessing you are treating a flowerhorn?

"Kok" is a term that can refer to the enlarged nuchal hump on the head of flowerhorns. The hump is fleshy and can increase or decrease in size depending on the health and dominance of the fish.
      Since the health of the fish improved with the addition of saltwater, that would suggest that the tank was lacking in GH, KH, or trace minerals since water prepared with Salinity would add all three. My guess would be that GH would be the most likely to impact this since it plays the biggest role in osmoregulation. It could also be a combination of all three.

Increasing the dose of Fresh Trace would increase the available trace minerals, but it wouldn't significantly impact the overall GH. You could increase your dose of Replenish to increase the GH. Alternately, we have a couple of other products which can be used to increase GH: Equilibrium, which is formulated for planted tanks; and American Cichlid Salt which is formulated to replicate the mineral content of South and Central American waters.
      yes a flowerhorn

his alone in the (fish only) tank so i guess its more of health issue or stress why the kok decreased.

if opt to use relenish do i still need fresh trace ?
      Last edited by Dream Catcher; 12-29-2015, 00:37.

Comment

If you use Replenish, it is still beneficial to use Fresh Trace as well.

Comment

you mentioned American Cichlid Salt. do i need buffer as stated in the product direction?
          if i use American Cichlid Salt , i dont need both replenish and fresh trace anymore?

Comment

In order to achieve the exact parameters of the South American water chemistry, it is best if you use both the American Cichlid Salt and the Malawi/Victoria Buffer. If you use the American Cichlid Salt, you no longer need to use Replenish. However, the Fresh Trace will still be very beneficial.

Comment

i will be using replenish until i finish my last stock besides its much simpler to dose. speaking of which i mindlessly shake the replenish bottle and noticed white flakes developed. can i still use it or the shaking made replenish useless?

Comment

You can still use it. The white flakes are most likely where some of the liquid has dried on the inside of the the bottle where it was above the waterline leaving behind a residue that flaked off when you shook the bottle. This small amount shouldn't affect the performance of the product.

Comment

the store put a sticker and messed up the bottle label of my replenish.now i cant read it all.
                  where can i find the replenish dosage chart?

Comment

The information on the labels for any of our products can be found on the product pages of our website, www.seachem.com. Replenish can be found here: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Replenish.html

Comment

but theres still no chart. the gh dose chart/table to determine the right dose to get the required gh level e.g. soft..hard..very hard..etc.

Comment

Ah, I'll see if I can get that added to the product page. In the meantime, here is reference chart:

meq/L Rating
                        ------------------------------------
                        0-1 Soft
                        1-2 Moderately Soft
                        2-3 Slightly Hard
                        3-4 Moderately Hard
                        4-5 Hard
                        5-6 Very Hard

Comment

thanks !!!

Comment