Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metroplex treatment duration for Hexamita?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metroplex treatment duration for Hexamita?

We recommend only using KanaPlex for up to 6 doses consecutively and then taking a break from it. It is an antibiotic and generally, you never want to use antibiotics long term for fear of damaging internal organs, specifically the kidneys. As for the MetroPlex, I would recommend feeding it daily for a 3 week treatment period.

Any change in temperature could be a possible stressor to the fish. It is best to keep the temperature in the range that they prefer and not adjust it, as it doesn't seem to have much of an impact anyway.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply, i appreciate all the information and help!

I didn't proceed with any treatment as i wanted to assure what the disease is. I came to the conclusion that the bumps in my Platydoras bellies were from Hexamita(which can do that when they escape from the GI tract and into the belly cavity) and treated by feeding Metro. From the first day, there was a huge improvement and by the 5th day, their bellies are back to normal.

My problem has been the recurring columnaris. Just when i had decided to treat with metro, columnaris raised its ugly head again and its difficult to eradicate. I have been treating with Kanaplex in the water as per the directions and with 3 consecutive doses, its still there a bit. What do i do to truly eradicate it and prevent recurrence? The tank is still at 23C

Comment

We are glad to hear that some of the symptoms are being treated by the MetroPlex. Regarding the Columnaris, Columnaris can be pretty fast moving and hard to beat and either Kanaplex or Neoplex would be the best options for treating this infection.

NeoPlex works best when dosed into the water, but if you are using KanaPlex, it could be incorporated into your medicated food blend along with the MetroPlex. To do this you would combine 1 scoop of the MetroPlex, 1 scoop of the KanaPlex and 2 scoops of the Focus for every tablespoon of food. You can feed this mix for up to 2 weeks total, feeding daily.

I hope that this will help and that you will be able to fully eradicate this infection from your system!

Comment

Since Columnaris is a continuing problem one factor that you might consider in addition to medication is factors that can contribute to it flourishing. It spreads more easily at higher temperatures and in water lacking in mineral content, so you could try lowering the temperature slightly and increasing the mineralization of water. You can just add aquarium salt if your GH is already as high as you'd like it, but if the water is very soft it would probably be beneficial to use a product like Replenish, Equilibrium, or American Cichlid Salt which will also increase ions like calcium and magnesium.

Columnaris also tends to be opportunistic on stressed fish, so it might be worth dosing StressGuard while fighting it, especially since you have a group of aggressive cichlids. It can help prevent infection from taking hold on any battle wounds in addition to reducing stress. It can be used while treating with most medications (other than Cupramine).

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies and help! Since Neomycin is not ideal for feeding and has kidney toxicity as well(though its supposedly not absorbed well enough to cause that), and since i was running out of options and time(vacations were coming), i decided to add Neoplex in the water(i could only dose once as i had to leave earlier) and at the same time feed with Kanaplex for the few days before i leave(i think i ended up feeding for 4days). The symptoms went down at a good and steady pace and were nearly eradicated by the time i had to leave. Thankfully, by the time i returned, everyone was (reasonably) healthy. I think some slight (kidney?) toxicity may have been caused(1-2 fish were more laid back, less eager to compete for food, not eating enough but appearing ok/slightly full) but they are getting better after a water change to remove the medications left in the water, and such behaviour could also just be from stress(they are cichlids and these 2 are low in hierarchy. Also a catfish is somewhat affected but had also been overeating during my absence, so it could be from that alone).
            Their overal condition seems to be getting better and better, without relapses even after fights, so i am hopeful this fight may have been won.

Some of my day active, fast swimming catfish(Trachelyopterus insignis) have slight scratches on their eyes, appearing as external cloudy lines or areas. Is there anything i need to do or are these best dealt just with clean water? I think clean water is all that is needed unless cloudiness starts spreading from the scratch sites, correct?
            These same catfish(which are wild caught and recent introductions in December), breath quite fast when moving around. I need to check if this happens only when swimming or also while sleeping, but i am not sure what the proper breathing rate is for this species. Its a very active and fast moving species. I am keeping watch on them, they eat very well and don't appear sick otherwise. I have not dewormed any fish in my tank yet, so i am not sure if flukes, tapeworms, etc are in the tank or not, with all the previous medication for columnaris, i would prefer not at any more meds for quite some time if possible, unless something needs immediate attention(like columnaris did). Do certain fish breath much faster than others? Or is this only a sign of severe stress(not the case here, they are not stressed) or parasites/other disease?

Thank you very much in advance and thank you for all your help till now! I am happy that no fish was harmed or lost despite the fact that some came in harbouring a series of diseases

Comment

For scratch that aren't infected, I would just use StressGuard. It helps keep wounds from getting infected and is pretty gentle and tolerated easily. Active fish usually will breath faster so if the fish are very active, I wouldn't worry about rapid breathing unless it is extreme and differs from their normal behavior.

Glad to hear that your fish are doing better!

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X