GH and KH for flowerhorn tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GH and KH for flowerhorn tank

My tap water KH is 2-3 degree and GH is 3-4 degree. I assume desired range for flowerhorn for Kh is at least 4 degrees and GH is at least 10. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    I have added crushed coral in to filter to raise KH. I had equilibrium so added it to raise GH, I also bought some Replenish.
    As per website 5ml replenish increase GH of 10 gallon water by 2.8 degree. I used 10ml per 10 gallon to bring GH closer to 10 degrees.
    I realized that American cichlid salt might be better and cheaper for me, so I am going to switch to that once I use up the Replenish.
    What quantity do I need to add to raise GH by 6 degrees?
    I am also adding Trace, do I need suggested dose even when used with American cichlid salt?

Bump

Comment

Hello Ruturaj!

For pH and KH we would recommend our Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer! They are carbonate based! The Alkaline dosing link I attached shows you a chart and will give you the exact ratios and dosing charts you need to dose for your target pH.

For GH we recommend using Equilibrium. And for fertilizers we recommend Flourish, Flourish Excel and perhaps Flourish Advance to start. These will cover all of your bases. Thereafter you can look at our individual supplements if you need to adjust a specific parameter such as Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Iron, etc. The link below will show you a chart that highlights the different sources in each Flourish product! :)

[FAQ: What is the difference between the Flourish products?](https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...?source=search)

[Info: Alkaline Buffer Dosing Instructions](https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...?source=search)

Hope this helps!

TechSupport SM

Comment

Originally posted by tech support SM View Post
        Hello Ruturaj!

For pH and KH we would recommend our Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer! They are carbonate based! The Alkaline dosing link I attached shows you a chart and will give you the exact ratios and dosing charts you need to dose for your target pH.

For GH we recommend using Equilibrium. And for fertilizers we recommend Flourish, Flourish Excel and perhaps Flourish Advance to start. These will cover all of your bases. Thereafter you can look at our individual supplements if you need to adjust a specific parameter such as Flourish Nitrogen, Flourish Iron, etc. The link below will show you a chart that highlights the different sources in each Flourish product! :)

[FAQ: What is the difference between the Flourish products?](https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...?source=search)

[Info: Alkaline Buffer Dosing Instructions](https://seachem.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...?source=search)

Hope this helps!

TechSupport SM
        pH of tank has been stable around 7.6. I am not looking to change it.

I don't have any plants in that tank and it's flowerhorn tank so a central American cichlid hybrid. Shouldn't I be using American cichlid salt? I just wanted to know what does of American cichlid salt increase GH by what degrees?

Comment

Sorry for the confusion here, Ruturaj!

Yes, the American Cichlid Salt will be a good option for you! For South American Cichlids, use 2.5 g (1/2 teaspoon) for 110 L (30 US gallons). Are you adding this to RO water or tap water?

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support AN View Post
            Sorry for the confusion here, Ruturaj!

Yes, the American Cichlid Salt will be a good option for you! For South American Cichlids, use 2.5 g (1/2 teaspoon) for 110 L (30 US gallons). Are you adding this to RO water or tap water?
            Not south, central American cichlid.

As in my initial post, I am using tap water which has 2 degree KH and 4 degree GH.

I read the dosing on product description page. It does not specify effect of dosages in terms of degrees.

Comment

I realized that American cichlid salt might be better and cheaper for me, so I am going to switch to that once I use up the Replenish.
              Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 14:07.

Comment

Working...
              X