Tanganyikan ph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanganyikan ph

My tap water tested at 9.6 yesterday and 9.3 today with a ph meter, but the kh is only 4 degrees.
    I don't want to raise the ph further but I do need to add more kh. Tanganyika buffer increases the ph, so is there another way to raise the kh without raising the ph also?
    And if the water does test at 9.6 is that dangerous for Tanganyikan cichlids?
    I'm planning on buying fish from a source that keeps them at 8.5 so is acclimating to a 9.6 or 9.3 ph need to be done particularly slowly?
    Thanks.

Thanks for the post, tanganyikancichlids!
    Unfortunately, we do not have a freshwater buffer that raises only the KH. They all raise both pH and KH. If the cichlids were tank raised in 8.5, you will want to slowly acclimate them to a higher pH. Perhaps raise it slowly over a few days. I don't think that 9.6 is particularly dangerous for them, but they will probably do better if you could get them closer to their natural habitat parameters. I hope this helps!

Comment

the kh without raising the ph also?
      And if the water does test at 9.6 is that dangerous for Tanganyikan cichlids?
      I'm planning on buying fish from a source that keeps them at 8.5 so is acclimating to a 9.6 or 9.3 ph need to be done particularly slowly?
      Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Unfortunately, we don't have a freshwater buffer that only raises KH. All of the buffers raise both KH and pH simultaneously. If the cichlids you are purchasing were kept at a pH of 8.5, then I would highly recommend trying to get your parameters as close to what they are acclimated to for best results. Once you have them settled in, you could slowly begin to increase the pH as you feel necessary.

Comment

Working...
        X