Angelfish spitting out food - sick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angelfish spitting out food - sick?

I have a black lace angelfish who is acting pretty normal, swimming like usual, acting friendly and rushing to the top of the tank when it’s time to eat. But no matter what I feed it, it spits the food out, grabs it again, spits it out again. It has two small white spots on one pectoral fin. I thought maybe it was a bit of fin rot and tried giving it brine shrimp mixed with kanaplex and focus, but I don’t know that it’s actually ingesting the food. Am I treating with the wrong medicine? What else could be wrong with it? Thanks

Thanks for the post, srwfish! Angelfish can be picky eaters, and even if they like the food being fed they can exhibit this behavior. If you suspect a bacterial infection such as fin rot, the KanaPlex can be dosed directly to the water column, but I would recommend quarantining the fish for treatment if possible!

I hope this helps!

Comment

, the KanaPlex can be dosed directly to the water column, but I would recommend quarantining the fish for treatment if possible!
      Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 15:10.

Comment

If your fish stops consuming food and spits up food instead, chances are they've become infected. The first problem I want to mention is their mouth. When their mouth starts to develop tumors, ulcers, or any other deformities, they will have a hard time eating and drinking, causing them to spit out some food that they cannot eat. Next is the problem of the presence of parasites on the gills that affect their eating. Or maybe your fish has contracted a serious disease.

Comment

Thanks for the input, Arthurfarris!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthurfarris View Post
            If your fish stops consuming food and spits up food instead, chances are they've become infected. The first problem I want to mention is their mouth. When their mouth starts to develop tumors, ulcers, or any other deformities, they will have a hard time eating and drinking, causing them to spit out some food that they cannot eat. Next is the problem of the presence of parasites on the gills that affect their eating. Or maybe your fish has contracted a serious disease.
            Those are the reasons fish spit out food. The fish also tend to play with the food, which makes them appear to be spitting it out of their mouth.

Comment

Working...
            X