Sick Red Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick Red Devil

I have a red devil that is around 4 years old. She is very docile, I keep her in a 75G tank with other Malawi Cichlids. She has gotten very ill and I am struggling to treat her in a hospital tank that isn’t cycled. I feel like I’ve tried everything! Please help if you can.

Day 1 she is listless, hanging at top of tank and won’t eat. I give her a salt bath for 30 minutes
    Day 2 No change. Still floating at top of tank, occasionally straight up vertical. This time I give salt bath with Melafix. I notice my plecostamus has ick so I treat the whole tank.
    Day 3 and Day 4- continue Melafix.
    Day 5 she is drastically worse. Starting fin rot and has white all over her tail.
    Day 6 I set up a 10G hospital tank with a heater and an air filter. I add bacteria in a bottle.Continue Melafix and pimafix for what looks like white “hair” now growing on her head. 50% water changes 2x daily
    Day 7 I bought some ammonia tabs and a sponge filter. Tank is not cycled. She looks worse, tail fins fall off. 50% water change 2x daily
    Day 8 I bought PolyGuard. Discontinue the Melafix and pimafix and treat only Polyguard after every water change. Still adding bacteria in a bottle. Still using ammonia tabs that aren’t working.
    Day 9-11 Same. 50% water change 2x daily. Treat with polyguard each time and bacteria in a bottle. Gave up on ammonia tabs they don’t work.
    Day 12 same routine. Bought some Amguard and added to hospital tank. Ammonia alert is still on “alert” which is light green.

She is looking worse and worse and just today has become very pale. I’m afraid she will die soon :( The good thing is my entire cichlid tank looks healthy and no other fish appear to be sick.

Any advice is welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Sweettea109; 03-28-2019, 18:31.

Thanks for the post Sweettea109 and we are so sorry to hear about your Red Devil Cichlid.

It sounds like she is suffering from some type of bacterial infection. How long have you been dosing the PolyGuard? Are you seeing any improvement with that treatment? How often are you adding the AmGuard? It can be added every 2-3 days as needed for ammonia. You may want to add some StressGuard to the tank daily during your treatment, as this may help her to recover faster and start healing her fins. We also might switch to a different anti-biotic, but I first want to find out how long you have been dosing the PolyGuard and if you have seen any improvement?

We look forward to hearing from you!

Comment

Hi! I have been using the polyguard for two weeks following the instructions on the bottle. I stopped the treatment yesterday. I have been seeing slow improvement and her wounds are closing up. Unfortunately she lost most of her anal fin and it is down to the bone. She started eating again a week ago which is a very good sign. I am doing large water changes every other day so I am dosing the amguard every time I do a water change. I think she is going to survive!! I will try the stress guard to help her heal faster.

Comment

That's great to hear! I would recommend using the StressGuard daily for a while until her fins heal up. If you see that it starts getting bad again, you can try a round of our KanaPlex, but I would not put any more antibiotics in the water for now to see if she can recover with just the StressGuard.

I hope this helps!

Comment

It has been 5 weeks since she came down ill, and 10 days since I stopped the antibiotics. She has lost 3 of the bones in her anal fin, but despite that I think the infection is all gone and her body is shedding the old dead tissue and is healing. She is still eating and swimming around and I'm assuming those bones will never grow back.
          I didn't realize the pictures I attached with my iPhone didn't come through, so hear are some new ones from today.

Comment

Hi there Sweettea109! It does look like the infection is healing over! Unfortunately the tail bones typically don't grow back, but the tissue should heal over with time.

Comment

I'm so glad I found this forum. My Red Devil is having the same issues. He's 11 years old and over the weekend I was away and when I came back he had all of this fluffy cotton coming out of him. I started with aquarium salt and pimafix, but after further research I think he's too far along for that to work. I should have my Kanaplex in the mail today though. I was also recommended to use Furan 2 since he looks to be far along. Since Monday I've done a 50% water change followed by a few 25% changes, cleaned the gravel, used aqurium salt as well as started treatment with Furan 2. I plan on using it with KanaPlex for a strong combo. He just started swimming on his side yesterday, but he's able to flip himself upright for short periods. I don't think he has eaten in a week either, so he might be weak. Any advice?

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your Red Devil, Harmoncj! I would definitely recommend beginning treatment with the KanaPlex, as I would suspect the infection is bacterial or fungal in nature. I would also recommend checking your water parameters to ensure that the water quality is as high as possible to reduce stress during the treatment period.

If you see any spikes in ammonia or nitrite, I would recommend dosing Prime and Stability to get the water parameters back into the target range, and keep the fish safe during the treatment with KanaPlex.

As a general rule, I also don't recommend mixing medications unless absolutely necessary!

I hope this helps!

Comment

Thank you! I only started the Furan 2 yesterday. I would have used KanaPlex earlier, but none of my local shops had it and the quickest delivery date was Friday. I have done two treatments of Furan 2 so far, would it be alright to switch to Kanaplex tomorrow when I receive it in the mail? Also, I have been using prime while doing water changes, but I need to get stability. Should I be putting them both in every time I change the water and are they okay to be using while medicating? I really appreciate the feedback.

Comment

I would just ensure that the Furan 2 is completely out of the water before moving on to another treatment. Perhaps do a water change and put MatrixCarbon in the filter to fully remove it. Yes, Prime and Stability can be used together at any time. Stability is especially great during medication treatments as bacteria can become compromised during this time.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Day 2 No change. Still floating at top of tank, occasionally straight up vertical. This time I give salt bath with Melafix. I notice my plecostamus has ick so I treat the whole tank.
                      Last edited by tech support SM; 03-10-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Working...
                      X