Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Question on raising Kh & Iodine in Tanganyikan aquarium

Hello,

I have a few questions on raising Kh and adding table salt/iodine in a Tanganyikan 140 gallon aquarium.

My tap water is extremely demineralized. The Kh reading in my tap water is 2 or about 35ppm. My aquarium water usually reads between 5 and 7 or 85 and 120ppm. My substrate is Caribsea African cichlid sand which is crushed aragonite I believe. I also have a few big dead corals and reef rocks inside. I've read Kh should be over 9-10 for tTnganyikan cichlids? Is that correct and how can I raise my Kh? Should I add some crushed coral in a media bag and try and fit it in my canisters? My Tap water's Gh is around 6-7, and aquarium water is usually around 11-13.

I once added a bunch of epsom salt and it raised my Kh to 10 or more and Gh to 24...

I forgot to mention I also have Seachem Cichlid Trace, Seachem Cichlid Lake salt and Seachem Malawi/Victoria Buffer, as I want my PH to stay around 8.2-8.4 not over 9 if I were to use the Lake Tanganyika Buffer. I was very reluctant to use the Trace, Salt and Buffer regularly because of all the initial troubles I had with starting this aquarium on February 1st 2017 because of a mistaken parasite call, medication, emptying all the water twice, etc etc. But now I am ready to use them more often.

I am basically just wanting to raise my Kh by about 5 and Gh by about 3. Which one of these 3 products do you think would accomplish that?

--------------------

Also, I read on animal-world.com that it's good to add some table salt for iodine to aid with the cichlids thyroids. Is this correct and hiw much table salt per gallon and frequency?

This is what is says:

"Salt is sometimes used as a buffering agent to increase the water's carbonate hardness. An alternative buffering approach is to use a chemical filtration method, where they water passes through layers of crushed coral or coral sand. Interestingly, Tanganyikan cichlids also need iodine for the thyroid to function properly to regulate growth and development, and which can be achieved by adding iodized table salt to the water. Although rift lake cichlids need hard alkaline water they are not found in brackish waters.

Provide a sandy or very small sized gravel substrate. Sand used for salt water tanks can help keep the pH up as well as the addition of crushed coral. Crushed coral and aragonite sands do tend to dissolve easier than salts".

Is there a Seachem product that helps with this?

8 Kigoma Frontosas, 1 Burundi Frontosa
    2 Leleupi, 1 Brichardi, 1 Daffodil, 1 Olivaceous
    1 ****fieldi, 1 Regani, 1 Transcriptus
    1 Blue Dolphin, 1 Jewel, 1 Green Texas Cichlid
    1 Ancistrus Sp. Pleco
    Fluval 1500 140 Gallon Aquarium
    Empty 60 Gallon Aquarium
    Future 180 Gallon in the works for Frontosas and Blue Dolphins

Thanks!

Hi, Ive been reading more and see how African Lake salt raises GH, Trace helps with fish vitamins, and Buffer with Kh and Ph. I'm just afraid to use too much Malawi buffer because already my tap water ph is about 8.2-8.4 but only 40 ppm KH. What is the best solution in this case. Also, I have no means of letting fresh water sit out for a day, but I do have 2 wavemakers stirring the 140 gallon water pretty good. Also, is there a certain best order to add Prime, Buffer, Salt, Trace?

Last thing, what is the recommended KH for most Tanganyikan cichlids? If possible give me a ballpark middle of the ground figure. Thanks Seachem.

Last edited by easywolf31; 04-05-2017, 15:46.

Comment

I would recommend that you use the Cichlid Lake Salt as it is specially formulated to replicate the African Rift Lakes. It will boost GH and you can use the buffer to boost pH and it will also boost on KH. You can use the Cichlid Trace a few times a week to add minerals to the water (fish will absorb these like a multivitamin). The Malawi Buffer will typically not exceed 8.4 pH, but if used continually can continue to boost KH to the optimum range even after the 8.4 pH has been reached.

For KH for we recommend that you target a range of 4 meq/L to 6 meq/L (or 200-300 ppm)

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
      X