Kanaplex in low ph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kanaplex in low ph?

Hi. This is my first message. I hope I'm posting it in the right section. Ive been trying to treat my heckel discus for internal parasites and bacteria. Lately, their bellies have become very thin, almost sunken. Ive tried treating for worms in the past but did not observe any evidence of worms so I started using metronidazole as I've observed some off white jelly like feces in some of my fish following a slight temperature drop in the tank. 5 days in from the start of the metro treatment, I have not seen any improvements so I thought of using kanaplex to deal with other types of internal bacteria. I have heard that kanaplex does not work well in aquariums with low ph and that it is more useful in ph above 7. I'm keeping my heckels in 5ph and wondered if I can add kanaplex into this water. Would a slight overdose assist in compensating the affects of low ph on the medicine? I know I can add it to their food but I wanted to know if a bath treatment is viable in very low ph aquariums as I've been struggling to get my fish to eat medicated food of various types and they hate it so you always end up with some fish eating more than others and some fish not eating at all. I've tried garlic guard as well as other additives in these mixtures to entice them to take the feeds but they just ignore it. Also what are your views on using kanaplex concurrently with metronidazole? I'll be grateful for any information.
    Thanks
    Tolga

Hi there Tolga!

Would you be able to direct us to where you are seeing reference to KanaPlex not working in low pH? We've not heard anything about this, and we'd love to check it out if there's some kind of article or forum thread floating around to this effect.

We certainly don't recommend overdosing the KanaPlex, and a concentrated "bath style" treatment with KanaPlex would be ineffective. I'd recommend just doing the standard dose every other day to a total of three doses if you'd prefer not to put it in the food.

KanaPlex and MetroPlex are often recommended as a sort of "combination super-medication" in articles around the internet, but we actually don't recommend using them at the same time if it can be avoided. Using both is a bit like bringing a sledgehammer when you only needed a screwdriver; it sure is effective, but it might be significant overkill and more stressful to your fish than is helpful. If you need to use both (say, your poor fish has columnaris and also hexamita) it is best to put one medication in the food and the other in the water to minimize stress.

Thank you,

Comment

Hi. Thank you for answering my questions. I have started to soak live white worms in kanaplex mixed with ro water before feeding them to my discus. I'm hoping that these worms will take some of this medication into their bodies. I'm also going to start soaking some live adult brine shrimp in this medication. Im giving this to my fish cuncurrently with the metro. i can't remember all the sites I've read about the issue surrounding the question of ph and it's affects on kanaplex but there has been more than one. A quick google search revealed one post in a rainbow fish forum where the following was said:
      " PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 am Post subject: Reply with quote
      I hope so, she is an excellent diagnostician....

Here is why I asked about pH: kanamycin is an unusual antibiotic. For most, pH is irrelevant, but kanamycin works substantially better at 7.4+. This has several implications... being stronger, it is much more likely to whack the biofilter at high pH .. it is generally more powerful in saltwater .. and (finally a relevant tidbit) medigold may work better than tank bath since it is delivered at the body pH (and it is around 7.3 for most organisms).. "

So this is what they are saying. It hard to know what's right these days. They could be referring to kanamycin in general as opposed to kanaplex in particular. Although the person who posted the question prior to the answer I've quoted above, was actually referring to his experience of using kanaplex in particular. Obviously, you can't take everything you read on the internet as the ultimate truth. So on this point, I will rely on your explanation and I appreciate the input.
      Cheers
      Tolga

Comment

Also the website, American aquariumsproducts.com says that kanamycin works better in higher ph. They say this in the section where they include the picture of kanaplex. Now, they don't go as far as to say that it doesn't work in low ph but simply point out that it's more affective in higher ph and in salt water applications as well. So I couldn't help but wonder about the effectiveness of this medication in particularly low ph fresh water set ups such as mine. So Thank you again for clarifying this for me.
        Cheers
        Tolga

Comment

Tolga,

KanaPlex is quite effective in low and high pH situations. I read the information on the page you have listed to see what it was saying/ referring to. It is true that it is particularly effective in saltwater against specific infections and this article is specifically referring to one type of bacteria, vibrio, that it is effective at eradicating. Vibrio is typically encountered in saltwater environments/ saltwater or brackish water fish and does not generally occur at lower pH.

This does not mean that KanaPlex is more or less effective in one pH or another exactly, only that it is particularly good at eradicating this style of bacteria which exists in alkaline pH environments and that the higher pH does not negatively impact the medication or alter its effectiveness. It is also particularly good at eradicating mycobacterium & flexibacter, which are most often encountered in freshwater fish at neutral to acidic pH.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Hi. Thank you for make my it clear for me.
            Regards
            Tolga

Comment

You are most welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X