Purigen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purigen

I would like to try your purigen product in my canister filter. But I have some concerns. Up untill now I have been using Tetra Aqua Safe as my conditioner. I still have a lot of the stuff left, so I wondering if I could use it with purigen? Or must I use Prime? Also I have a 75 gal tank so how much of this stuff should I use?

Re: Purigen

It is fine to use your water conditioner with Purigen in the aquarium. The problem occurs in the regeneration process. If an amine based polymer is used during the dechlorination process than you will form chloramine. These can be deadly to your aquarium. To be safe I would use Prime in the regeneration process unless you know that your water conditioner does not have an amine based polymer.

You will need to use at least 75 mL of Purigen. You can always use a larger amount. It would just mean that you have a longer time between regenerations.

Comment

Ok so just to get this right. I would only have to use Prime when doing the regenoration. Once I have done the regenoration and the purigenis back in my filter I can use anything(For instance when I am doing water changes.) Or will this also cause the purigen to be toxic and non-regenoratable?

Comment

Let me explain how it forms chloramines and maybe that will help you better understand. During the regeneration process you soak the Purigen in a 50-50 solution of water-bleach. After that stage is done you soak it in a dechlorinator, to remove the chlorine from bleach. If you add an amine based polymer at this stage it will combine to for chloramine. Chloramine is a bond between chlorine and amine.

So you are correct in your aquarium you can use anything, just not in the regeneration process.

Comment

Ok, thank you.

Comment

Your welcome.

Comment

Working...
            X