High Nitrates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High Nitrates

I'd like to add further information ... I never thought of testing the ouput of the filter for anything but nitrate. I just did today and found something unexpected:

flow of 6 ml per minute (too high, but I ase trying ...)
    nitrate 20ppm (main tank is 40 ppm)
    nitrite: 5ppm (undetectable in main tank)
    ammonia: undetectable

I did not expect to find such a high level of nitrite. Where could it come from?

Comment

Hello, Is it possible to use the "Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactor 150" in-line application filter filled with Deā€¢Nitrate for a 40 gallon FOWLR anemone tank?

Information about the filter can be found at:
      http://www.twolittlefishies.com/tlf_...html?lang_id=1

Thanks

Comment

Gardwynn-
        There are two types of denitrification that can occur: ammonification and anoxic denitrification. Ammonification results when there is no oxygen and anoxic denitrification results when there is low levels of oxygen. Both result in the conversion of nitrate to nitrite and then eventually into nitrogen gas which can gas off. Ammonification can create ammonia as the final product. Did you get any ammonia in your test results?

What I would suggest is that you actually turn up your flow. This will cycle the tank through quicker and allow anoxic bacteria to grow. It will probably take a few weeks to allow the anoxic bacteria time to grow. Turning up the flow will also help feed the bacteria better and allow them to consume more nitrate.

There are a few other things you can do that will help keep your nitrate from building. You can cut back on the amount of food you feed, add Purigen to the tank (absorbs nitrogenous wastes), and add supplements to allow your plants to better use the nitrate. You say you don't have many plants but do you add any fertilizers? Nitrates are a nitrogen source and phosphates are a phosphorous source. These are usually abundant in an aquarium. I would suggest adding Flourish Potassium because this is usually missing. NPK (nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium) make up 3% of a plants weight. Also I would add Flourish Excel as a carbon source for the plants and Flourish as a trace mineral supplement. These three products should help your plants better use the nitrate that accumulates.

Comment

Franco-
          That should work fine as long as you have a flow rate of 50 gph or less.

Comment

Thank you for your answer. Just to give you a few more details:

-My tank is fully cycled. The denitrifier filter is an additional filter I am trying to setup.
            - I have no detectable traces of ammonia in either the tank nor at the output of the denitrification filter
            - Most of the water I use is softened water, using potassium chloride (instead of sodium chloride). So I think there should be plenty of potassium
            - I use a flourite as substrate

I will consider purigen. Also, I will look into increasing the flow. I will report back in a few weeks ...

Thanks

Gardwynn

Comment

I figured it was an established aquarium. The denitratification process converts NO3 (nitrate) to NO2 (nitrite) before it converts to N2 (nitrogen gas). And in anaerobic denitrification it can even convert it back to ammonia.

You probably have a good bit of potassium in the water if you do enough water changes. Flourite should provide enough iron and other nutrients. I would still recommend Flourish Excel and Flourish.

Yes, please keep us updated on what occurs after you turn up the flow rate.

Comment

Well, it has been a lot more than a few weeks since I wrote I would report back ... What I found though may be of interest to other users.

I gave up making a low flow (very low flow) de-nitrifier. They work, when they want to, and are very finicky, and do not produce enough water. What I did instead is buy a filter sock from the hardware store (the kind you put around draining pipes to prevent clogging), inserted it in the place reserved for the protein skimmer (I have a fresh water tank, so not use for a skimmer), inserted a two-foot 3/8 inch tube into it that I linked on the other side to a derivation on my power filter exit, and filled the sock with de-nitrate (and some of the Matrix I had left). That's about 22 inches long, with an equivalent diameter of about 4 inches. Although water flows over the top of the sock as it enter the built-in tank filter, I now have a level of nitrate that remains around 10ppm instead of the 40+ I used to have, and I do not have to change the water so often.

I also replaced all my bio balls with matrix pond in the built-in filter.

I am also now using purigen as well as phosguard (my tap water contains more than 1ppm of phospate).

I am now happy ...

Thank you Seachem.

Comment

Great idea! I'm glad it worked for you.

You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                  X